….and My Story Runs On….
I can’t believe it’s been almost a month! There have been so many opportunities to blog but not enough time to sit down and do it. There has been a theme in my running life for the last few weeks though so I’m picking that as an opportunity to share some tips about it: DOWNHILL RUNNING!
The best kind, right?! So many people are afraid to let go or concerned about getting injured when running downhill but there are a few secrets to getting around it. When I’m flying down a hill, I feel like a little kid, free as a bird, especially on a trail! But trust me, it takes practice!
Here are a few ChiRunning tips for running downhill on road and trail (not a steep hill but an easy downhill):
- Core must be engaged to hold you up. Keep your upper body ahead of your foot strike.
- Relax everything from the waist down, especially your quads and calves. Let gravity pull you down the hill.
- Let your pelvis rotate more. Feel the road bringing your leg back and feel your leg bringing your hip back.
- Relax your ankles so you don’t land on your heel. You may want to try pointing your toes as your leg swings forward to avoid heel striking.
- Relax your mind. This is probably the hardest thing to do because most people tense up and are ‘afraid’ to let go in fear of falling. That tension is what causes more issues. If you have control issues, this will require more work. This is great practice in letting go physically (by relaxing as mentioned above) but more importantly, letting go mentally by not trying to control it but allowing the downhill to just take you. Trust it!
A few weeks ago I had the honor of doing at 10 mile trail run with Danny Dreyer (founder of ChiRunning) while he was teaching here in Phoenix. He coached me a bit on my downhill technique (I basically need to learn to relax more!) but gave me one piece of advice that I love:
Be the water. Think about next time you are going a trail. If water were flowing down it, which way would gravity and energy take it?
And check out this 16 second video clip of Danny running down these boulders like they were not even there!
What are you tips for running downhill? Please share below!
This is one of my favorite DVDs from ChiRunning 😉
From My Running Story to Yours….
(if you feel inspired to share your comments, do so below…I want to hear your story too!)