….and My Story Runs On….
This was my 50K training plan for the week:
Here is how my week went:
- Monday is a rest day and I’m really starting to enjoy these. I love not having to schedule my alarm and I let my body/mind sleep as long as I can. I got 8 hours and 37 minutes according to my Jawbone (this also gives me 3 sweepstakes entries for Krowdfit!)
- Tuesday: Did 5 trail miles at South Mountain with my friend Vicki. I focus on some hiking as I know I won’t be running the entire time during the event. I also started on some sandy washes since Antelope Canyon is 30 miles of sand.
- Wednesday: I woke up later than I wanted to (Running for Brews the night before) and it was tough to get motivated. Did 6 road miles. Focused on Y-Chi as I learned some new things between Danny’s ChiSchool webinar and the lesson for that week. Had some great aha moments with it!
- Thursday: Training plan called for 6 miles today and was trying to figure out how and when to get them in..had an epiphany before I went to bed…so I ran to my track workout, coached my peeps, ran to my parents for breakfast and then ran back home! (I always get less mileage than my track participants as I’m coaching them individually on technique)
- Friday: Rest day (traveled to Tucson for a free ChiRunning clinic on Friday night and a full workshop on Saturday)
- Saturday: I knew there was no way I was getting 18 miles in since I had a 4 hour ChiRunning workshop from 12-4pm. My original plan was 12 (I figured I would do 12 on Sat and 12 on Sun). My friend Lori happened to be down there visiting her family so we made plans to check out the Sweetwater Preserve (I’ve been there once but remembered how much I liked it). The plan was to meet there at 6:30am….unfortunately the rain and lightening kept us from starting at that time and I almost blew it off because I fell back asleep but thankfully she texted me and said “Let’s do it.”. Her nephew Joey, an avid runner came with us to explore the trails that we hadn’t been on. We were going for 6 miles since I needed time to get ready for my class but somehow we got lost and ended up doing 8 beautiful miles with a bit of rain as well. I had to rush to my class but it was a beautiful run.
- Sunday: My goal was to do 12-14 miles at McDowell Mountain and do part of the 50K Frenzy course. A few friends came out with me and we did another gorgeous trail run…thankfully the sun stayed behind the clouds for most of it and we explored another new trail.
My training for the week finished like this:
I did a little less of the weekly mileage than I was supposed to do but still happy all considering. As always, I foam roll my calves almost nightly, do leg drains and hit the hot tub a few times just to loosen up the muscles.
Aha moments this week:
- I may have been a little tight but overall not sore at all! I really attribute this to ChiRunning as my goal is to always be as energy efficient as possible and use my body correctly so I don’t re-injure myself as I’m adding miles.
- As mentioned above, focused quite a bit on YChi and had some great aha moments, the biggest one was feeling total leg relaxation as my mind/body were so focused.
- ChiRunning Form Focuses: working on peeling my feet (especially in sand) rather than pushing with my calf muscles which takes up a lot of energy and more potential for injury.
Fundraising update: I’ve set a goal for myself to raise $5,000 for Girls On The Run. I’m on their Board of Directors and this is a charity I’m really passionate about as running has changed my life and I wish I would’ve started earlier. I sent a blast to my newsletter about various ways people/businesses can help out with the charity. From that email, I received two $50 donations. Find out more here.
Previous blogs posts in this series:
From My Running Story to Yours….
(if you feel inspired to share your comments, do so below…I want to hear your story too!