As a personal trainer and running coach, I’ve been helping people lose weight and cross finish lines they never thought possible. With 11 years of personal experience and education, there is so much I can do to help you!
Why I do what I do
I am like many of you. I have faced many challenges with my weight. For 5 years, I tried the “fad” diets and took the “magic” pills that were going to melt away the pounds. None of that worked until I started working out with a personal trainer. I educated myself on the weight loss process, made a final commitment, and finally achieved success!
I lost 40 lbs and 16% body fat in 5 months. It was not easy and it required discipline. We all want a quick fix but like any change in your life, you have to work for it. I didn’t give up and it was one of the most significant accomplishments in my life.
In 2005, I was laid off from my corporate job and decided to take a risk and do what I always wanted to do. I wanted to share that same feeling of success with others so I became a personal trainer. I worked for a local gym however I’ve never been a gym person and I wasn’t crazy about their sly sales tactics. I wanted to help people on my terms so I created Easy Fitness Solutions.
In 2009 I decided to start dabbling into running which is when I found out about ChiRunning. The rest is history! I am now the only Certified Master Instructor in Arizona and love teaching people the most efficient and safe way to run so you can do it for the rest of your life. I have clients that are achieving goals they never thought possible and that’s when I decided to create The Running University.
My ultimate goal is for people to make fitness part of their lifestyle. Walking and running are a great way to do this. Over time, I’ve also discovered that having a tribe of people that encourages and supports you is crucial to my lifestyle. My mission to help people figure this all out and make it happen!
Since 2010, I’ve helped 1000’s people cross finish lines they never thought possible while remaining injury free. If you want to start or continue your fitness journey with me, here are some next steps:
- Become a Get Fit member and join my newsletter. You will receive fitness tips, a workout, and a recipe. I know you get a lot of emails so I send these out every 2 weeks. You can sign up here and view the last edition as well.
- I love to stay in touch and interact with my peeps! Connect with me here:
- Email me with any questions you have at Lisa@TheRunningUniversity.com (or call me at 602-502-1859)
- Check and see if I have any free clinics coming up
- Try your first Running Camp or Track Workout for Runners/Walkers for free (sorry guys, this is for ladies only!)
- Download my free ebook: 15 Simple Steps For The Beginner Beginner™ Runner: Easy & Practical How To’s for the ‘Newbie’, ‘Could Be’, ‘Sort Of’ or ‘Reluctant’ Runner .
Choosing a qualified running coach and personal trainer is crucial, so I invite you to take a look at the training and certifications I’ve acquired over my career.
My Education, Certifications & Credentials
- BA in Spanish and Psychology, ASU
Licensing and Certifications
- ChiRunning/ChiWalking Master Instructor
- Road Runner Club of America Coach
- Certified Personal Trainer NASM National Academy of Sports Medicine
- Corrective Exercise Specialist NASM
- Certified EZ8 Running Coach
- Certified Fitness Professional APEX
- Certified Online Personal Trainer NESTA
- Certified Fit Phone Coach NESTA
- American Red Cross CPR/First Aid
- Reiki Level II
- 2015-2018 Board of Directors Girls On The Run (Secretary 2016)
- 2014 Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM)
- 2012-2014 Area Governor, Zuni 2, District 3 Toastmasters
- 2011-2012 Estrella Toastmasters, President
- 2007-2011 St. Joseph the Worker Hike for the Homeless Committee Member
- 2006-2009 3-Day Breast Cancer Training Walk Leader
- 2005-2011 3-Day Breast Cancer Team Captain & Walker. We had the biggest team in Phoenix in 2008 and 2009..and raised the most money: Team Las Bombas
- Attended 4-Day ChiRunning/ChiWalking Instructor Training with Master Instructor Kathy Griest in November 2009
- Trained with Master Instructor Mary Lindahl in March 2010
- Became a Certified Instructor in April 2010
- Attended ChiRunning Instructor Weekend in November 2011
- Assisted Danny Dreyer (the founder) in August 2012 at Kripalu
- Achieved Senior Instructor in December 2012
- Assisted Chris Griffin and Kathy Griest with Instructor Training Class March of 2013
- Assisted Danny Dreyer October 2013 in Houston
- Attended ChiRunning Instructor Weekend in November 2013 and presented “Building Your ChiWalking/ChiRunning Community”
- Assisted Danny Dreyer March 2014 in Phoenix
- Assisted Danny Dreyer/Jeff Carnivale/Dick Felton with Instructor Training Class May of 2014
- Achieved Master Instructor status in December 2014
- Assisted Danny Dreyer February 2015 in Phoenix
- Assisted Danny Dreyer for a 5-Day Retreat at Kripalu “ChiRunning: A Mindful Approach to an Ancient Sport” in 8/12, 8/14, 5/15, 5/16, 6/17
- Certified Paul Ramos, PTA at Spooner Physical Therapy as the only other ChiRunning/ChiWalking Instructor in Arizona.